- Name: Saffire
- Age: 20
- Where from: Nottingham
- Job: Car mechanic with Nissan Nottingham
- Favourite place: Santa Pod drag racing venue in Wellingborough
- Favourite food: pasta with anything
- Favourite animal: Penguins
- Favourite series Reign (about Mary Queen of Scots)
- Favourite musician and band: Akon and Hollywood Undead
- Selfie or polaroid polaroid:
- Favourite saying: If life gives you lemons – make lemonade
- Pet Peeve: repeating myself
- Inspirational women: I’ve got 3!
1) My grandma Jane is always an inspiration and has helped me so much in life.
2) My grandma Sue on my Dads side – a strong funny woman who’s always been there for me and helped pushed me to do what I do today.
3) Ros Wollen, Sheffield car mechanic inspired me to want to have my own garage and do what I do. She’s so amazing and I can’t believe everything she has achieved. Just amazing what you can do when you go for your dreams.
Saffire did work experience with a major car dealership in Nottingham and loved it. They offered her a technician job and she’s been there for two years.
Why did you want to be a car mechanic?
I got to do it in school and I loved the feeling when I’d fixed a car or parts. I’ve got a twin sister and I spent a lot of my life with her. The only lesson I had away from her was motor vehicle which made it different and special for me.
How did you get where you are?
I did level 1 diploma in Motor Vehicle Maintenance in school, and then followed up with levels 2 to 4 in college. During level 3 I did work experience at Sandicliffe Nissan in Nottingham. It was the most amazing six weeks I’d ever had.
During level 4 they offered me the job to be a technician and I’ve now been here for nearly two years.
Best thing about your job?
I’ve seen and driven some really cool cars.
What inspired you?
My passion for cars mainly. I love working on them and driving them. When you find a something you like and you can get paid to do it, it’s pretty easy to decide.
Have you encountered any sexism, and how do you deal with it?
All the time. I either don’t deal with the customer and politely ask them to talk to someone else, or I outsmart them and shock them.
What do your family and friends think about you being a car mechanic?
They all love it.
What would you like to be doing in 10 years time?
I would like to have my own garage or scrap yard, or maybe be a parts manager at Nissan.
What do you like doing in your spare time?
Building small engines or little cars, going to car shows, fixing my car. I also like playing pool and watching ice hockey.
Advice to girls thinking of becoming a car mechanic?
Do what you want. Ignore people who bring you down. You can achieve anything if you want to. Just be strong. Its not as hard as you first think, trust me.