8 Ages of Engineering Women!
To celebrate National Women in Engineering Day last month, WEST got together with our partners at WISET and 8 very talented women to take this photo. The 8 engineering women from left to right are:
- Kathleen Roberts (92). One of Sheffield’s Women of Steel, Kathleen worked in the steelworks during World War 2.
- Ros Wollen (65). Now retired, Ros had a long career in mechanics including running a female garage and being the AA’s first female roadside assistant in the north of England.
- Sajhda Parveen (39). Sajhda is a trained mechanical engineer who now lectures in engineering and product design at Sheffield Hallam University.
- Aisha Tengku Ahmad (35). Aisha is a project engineer with Northern Powergrid. She went back to work after a career break, and her job involves looking after overhead line systems, undergound cables and substations.
- Simone Robinson (24). Simone has just finished a degree in Forensic Engineering and is embarking on a career in engineering.
- Audrey Chivaura (19). A WEST bursary winner in 2014, Audrey has just completed her extended diploma in engineering at Sheffield College. She is off now to do a degree in Engineering and Robotics.
- Annalise Campbell (14). A student at Ridgewood School in Doncaster, Annalise has chosen to do GCSE in engineering because she thinks it is a really interesting subject that opens the door to loads of different things.
- Kathryn Smith (4). Kathryn wants to be a princess when she grows up. And a scientist or engineer too!